230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 01:38
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #352
Bin it off and stop being a fag Thumbs up

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 01:41
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #353
Looking good mate,enjoy your treats! Thumbs up
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 01:51
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #354
S'funny, i can't remember an inlet manifold looking like that? Wink

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 03:36
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #355
cwspellowe wrote:
S'funny, i can't remember an inlet manifold looking like that? Wink

Aaaah yeah, kinda got a bit carried away on the interior Smile

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 15:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #356
Quickie anyone?

Booked a day off work today to try and get some more of this done, and it's not going too badly at all. As ever what started out as a matrix replacement has somehow turned into an entire interior revamp, but then why the hell not.

After some advice from Rikky I managed to get the steering bracket thing off, turns out what I thought were captive nuts were actually weird bolt/nut combo things, some of which were a left-hand thread. Obvious really. Anyway, that out the way I completed my lifelong ambition to be completely soundproofing-free.

Gave everything a rough once-over with some 240 grit, then spent about an hour (and a roll of masking tape) covering up everything I might not want painted. That was tedious. Can't be arsed with removing doors, plus it's a blowing a hurricane outside so could really do with keeping them on.

A ton of decorators sheet, a lot of masking tape and a can of acid etch later...

The priority is to get behind the dash done so I can make sure everything still works, hence I haven't removed the rest of the floor tar yet. Hmm, grey:

Normally, I rush these jobs and at this point would crack on with getting the paint on over the top. But not this time, I'm determined to do this once, and do it right. So instead, I found myself another task to do in the meantime - tidy out the garage, so I can get the (other) car in there and the missus doesn't have to do a 40-point turn to get out of the drive.

Wooden baton + flooring chipboard + cut off the tongue and groove + stain the edges =

Dag nam it, that's a manly-looking garage. I hadn't realised quite how many half-used bottles of old oil and brake fluid I had, should probably use those up. Nice bit of pipe lagging on the edges in anticipation of me smacking my face on them, job done. Tidy it all up, and it's never been tidier. The other half will be pleased. Although, I suspect, not as excited about garage shelving as I am.

Posted 4th Feb 2011 at 22:21
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #357
owain wrote:

It's almost as if that's exactly what power tools are for.

LOL

My girlfriend has loved me reading my "gay forum" this evening... She's only joking really, she lives for the 6 as much as I do, with her broken foot and need for lifts (Petrol money!) Big grin

Best thing I've read in a long time, well done!

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 03:38
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #358
Heh, awesome. So you're using her injury to force her to love the 6?

That's what we like.

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 15:54
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #359
Okay so I was hoping that one coat of primer would be enough, but alas a few bits looks a bit thin after a once-over with some fine sandpaper. Annoying, but I guess that's what you get for painting when it's three degrees outside.

So, as we're doing this properly - another coat of primer. If you're not a professional like me you'll have to improvise rather than hanging the steering column from the roof by the old throttle cable.

Well that's going to take a couple of days to dry properly, and only other job I can really do is to sort the heater matrix.

Start with this:

Take out the two screws that secure the matrix, and pull out ol' leaky:

Can't see anything wrong with that, looks just like new...?

Definitely don't try and fit it with the black protective bit still on the end. This is something amateurs would do and I definitely did not do, just now.

The main thing that p*sses me off when removing the dashboard are all the stupid steel wires connecting up the heaters, so let's do something about that.

As most of my ducting is lost, broken or I just can't be arsed to refit it, I'll just be locking all the bits in place to blow the air onto the windscreen. If I want driver cooling I'll sort that later. So, make sure the windscreen duct (the square one) is open and going nowhere:

The recirculate can bugger off too:

There are a couple of other controls which affect the routing of air to the bottom, and the temperature. However, as they're both internal mechanisms I'll have to wait until it's all wired up again to figure out which is which.

Tonight I shall be saving money by going to Sainsbury's to get Chinese food. Just as good as a takeaway, and you can get a much bigger selection for your money.

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 18:46
davewagon

Senior User

Post #360
Excellent stuff!

What are your plans with the pedals?

Presumably they'll end up being sprayed whatever colour the rest of the interior goes, but won't that make them a little slippy underfoot?

Dave

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 22:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #361
you could have just loosened a single 13mm nut and removed that steering column you know Razz

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:11
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #362
welshpug! wrote:
you could have just loosened a single 13mm nut and removed that steering column you know Razz

Well quite clearly no, I didn't know Thumbs up LOL

davewagon wrote:
What are your plans with the pedals?

I've put as much planning into this as I have done every other aspect of the car.

I.e. Dunno

They've pretty much worn down to shiny anyway, so I'll probably get some matt paint or something, that'll be an improvement.

Posted 5th Feb 2011 at 23:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #363
Managed to finally get the paint on today, so that's all out drying nicely hopefully ready for me to start reassembling the car tomorrow. In the meantime, decided to start working on the blanking plates for the blowers and the centre console.

As I'm a grandma, I went to Hobbycraft and picked myself up some sturdy ~2mm cardboard to cut out as a template.

Got some, and after some trial and error managed to make myself some lungs which fitted nicely.

I can't remember why they're labelled when they're both the same, I think it was to stop me covering them on the wrong side. They're just going to be glued in place, so just need to flock them up with some of the leftover self-adhesive sheet I used from the doors, and voila:

Job's a good'un. I'll glue those in when the dash is in.

As for the centre console I just drew around the original part, except the top blower which I'd thrown away and so had to improvise a little. Still, some work later and it fits nicely:

In fact, it fits really rather well. And bent into place as it is, is actually very sturdy. In fact sod using it as a template, that can now be the centre console panel. I'm only having a couple of toggle switches, time will tell if it's strong enough.

Weightsaving Thumbs up

Flock it up, buttercup:

And fit it in, complete with substantial fingerprinting:

I don't think that's too bad at all. It might fall apart the second I try and attach anything to it, but we'll see.

If I'm not useless, I might get my new radiator fitted tomorrow Big grin

Posted 6th Feb 2011 at 23:21
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #364
owain wrote:

I've put as much planning into this as I have done every other aspect of the car.

I.e. Dunno

Laugh my ass off Laugh my ass off Laugh my ass off

dash looks good Thumbs up

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 6th Feb 2011 at 23:27
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #365
Cheers matey, it came out better than expected Smile

Posted 6th Feb 2011 at 23:37
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #366

Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 19:14
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #367
Laugh my ass off
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 19:15
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #368
Laugh my ass off

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 19:44
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #369
Fcuking battery!

That is all for now.

Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 23:48
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #370
Right, paint's dry - time to scrape it all off again getting the dash back in. But aha - not just any old dash. It's one that Ollie (Pugheaven) got flocked up ages ago but never fitted, it must've been six months since I bought it from him and it's sat in the garage ever since.

I'd already moved the dash loom across the other day, only took about half an hour in all. Can I get a reeeee-fit:

Gets easier the more things you remove. Everything I can find plugged back in, not really a chance in hell this car is ever going to start again. Still, what the hell. I then had a play tidying up some of the looms with some PVC spiral binding stuff, but of a faff but should help protect the wires a little. Tidy:

Overexposed Sir?

Now I'm *sure* there's another bag of nuts and bolts somewhere, as I cannot find *anything* I need. Luckily have spares, so nothing really matches any more. Oh well. Only slight annoyance is on the wipers, where I'm pretty sure I've used the nuts for the steering column. Only nuts I have are BZP and the caps don't fit over them, so they look a bit like I'm trying to be pimp.

Ripspeed would be proud.

Okay next up I've a got a nice new Nissens rad which I bought from Ratty Ash. First is to remove the lower rad hose. Be careful to be environmentally friendly and take the old coolant to your local recycling centre.

Aw shucks, it happened again. Oh well, moving on. Dirty old bugger removed, taking great care not to snap the clips off:

The Nissens didn't have a thermostat in it, just a blanking plate. Still, my old rad had one so might as well move it across; set of mole grips later that's moved across. Incidentally the Nissens is much lighter than standard, hadn't considered that added bonus. I pulled out as much of the arch liner as I could be arsed, and set about shearing off the bolts for the washer bottle. Top notch.

Big hole:

Now. I'd researched this a lot, and there are two types of lower hose connector - the push-fit one, and the one with two plastic clips. Well, ladies and gentlemen, my car had a third type. It looked similar to the kind with the two clips, but only had one clip, a snapped off bit of plastic and three cable ties. I can only imagine this was an earlier design.

Because Ash is a massive conman, he "forgot" to send me the lower rad hose for the Nissens. It was at this point I remembered this. However, something in the back of my mind told me I'd bought one previously in anticipation, some months ago. Look in the garage and sure enough, lower rad hose for a Nissens! Bonus.

Oh good, the clip is missing. Brilliant.

Ah sod it, we'll figure something out. Got the new rad in with a bit of fuss, it got much easier after the right-hand clip snapped in half and pinged off somewhere. Again, brilliant. Connect everything back up, spent ten minutes trying to get the lower hose in. Nothing. Nada.

It's getting pretty dark now, so better think quick. Right, got some grease on the inside of the connector, pow! Straight in. Nice. Ah, and straight back out again. And in. Hmm. Could really do with that metal clip. Well, Ash reckons he's going to send it (AS IF, LIAR) so for now I shall definitely not be bodging it together with cable ties.

All back together, fire her up, re-fill with coolant. Words cannot describe my joy at seeing coolant not p*ss out over my driveway for once, but to simply gurgle away until it's all bled though.

Obviously dropped the matrix bleed screw and had to bodge it with a tyre valve cap, but that goes without saying.

Right, had enough. In for the night. Sample the golden nectar.

Incidentally I did have a few parts left over that came in the parcel from Ash - there's a pen that goes on your keys, a reflective cyclists band and a keyring with a picture of a cat on it. I'm obviously concerned that I couldn't find a place for these in the cooling system, so if anyone's got any ideas where they go I'd be most appreciative. Perhaps I'll ask a mechanic.

So just to clarify - my washer bottle, radiator and rad hose are definitely not now held on with cable ties.

Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 01:46
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #371
ive got a pretty much new steering wheel boss and a 300mm deep dish sparco steering wheel im probably going to sell if your intrested?

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:07
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #372
owain wrote:

Incidentally I did have a few parts left over that came in the parcel from Ash - there's a pen that goes on your keys, a reflective cyclists band and a keyring with a picture of a cat on it. I'm obviously concerned that I couldn't find a place for these in the cooling system, so if anyone's got any ideas where they go I'd be most appreciative. Perhaps I'll ask a mechanic.

Its a breakdown kit mate.

The pen is to write your last will and testament to loved ones on a beer coaster after hearing its a 3 hour wait for the AA/RAC to come and laugh at you.

The wristband is to keep you safe and sound and to alert other motorists that a twat in a french hatch has broken down again.

And the keyring is because i Love you and the fact you work with 'poters for a living.
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:17
gti-dan

Regular

Post #373
ha ha quality. Are you going to put some new seats in?

Any track days lined up?
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:37
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #374
rallyeash wrote:
ive got a pretty much new steering wheel boss and a 300mm deep dish sparco steering wheel im probably going to sell if your intrested?

Already got a boss and wheel thanks matey, that one's just the test-fit job Smile

Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 12:48
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #375
gti-dan wrote:
ha ha quality. Are you going to put some new seats in?

Any track days lined up?

Already got seats, Cobra Monaco's. I think we're booking up Woodbridge in a few weeks to give the car a test run, then I'll get booking them up! Possibly a 'ring trip on the cards as well...

Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 12:51

Pages (31): first .. 14 [15] 16 .. last