displaying posts 326 to 350 of 775

Pages (31): first .. 13 [14] 15 .. last

Author Subject: Track Cars for Dummies
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #326
where the bloke before me used to put notes in the flappy ashtray bit they slide down the back, i had a 10er, 2 5ers and somethign like 22 quids worth of change. so i did some serrious weight saving haha

ph3 gti-6 china blue- mint condition
ph2 gti-6 nile blue K.I.A dec 2010
Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 02:34
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #327
prism7guy wrote:
I was out in my track car earlier and noticed the centre console and glove box seem to have lots of copper coins in them, with the occasional 5p! Hyper LOL

EDIT: Thanks for the input ash, saved me ripping my heater matrix etc out and wasting £50 odd on them electric heaters Thumbs up

mine was one from ebay, was aroung £25 iirc. i'd amagine spending some more would get a better heater. or do what i did and buy a heated screen!

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 02:52
nc23

Regular

Post #328
This thread has escaped my attention until today. I'd just like to say congratulations! Aside from the financial beating a job like this undoubtedly gives you, it also takes some balls.
I'd like to think that if I was ever in a position to undertake a project like this, I'd also be of the school "Let's see what happens if I undo this....".
Top work, I take my hat off to you, sir. I look forward to buying you a celebratory beer at a meet sometime.
.......or do IT guys only drink G&Ts...? Whistle

’00 Moonstone GTi6
My Flickr Photostream
Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 03:37
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #329
nc23 wrote:
or do IT guys only drink G&Ts...?

No no, we're still leaving that to the pensioner ladies Wink

Cinzano ftw.

It's certainly not been cheap, but for the money it's been well worth it. I didn't really know anything about cars when I started and I just wanted to see whether someone with no knowledge could improve a car for track.

Turned out alright y'know, glad you enjoyed it Smile

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 18th Jan 2011 at 13:16
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #330
So anyway, back to the point.

It's been too long since I last did something with the car, and a week-long residential IT course had left me itching for some grease-on-face action. I'd been buying up parts left, right and centre ready for the weather to pick up a little so I can get the car sorted for this year's trackday season.

First job - recondition some wishbones. The current ones have done God knows how many miles since they were last replaced (if ever) and they're not in the best of nick. On a car where I intend to leave the engine well alone, handling is *everything*. So, get in touch with Rich_W and buy up his last set of roller bearings. After some negotiation with him, it's decided that I shall be removing the old bearings and sending him the wishbones, he will then fit the new ones for me and return them.

Rather than pulling my old car to pieces quite yet, I bought a load of old tat from Rikky, which included a pair of wishbones. I think it's fair to say they weren't in factory condition, particularly as one of the P-bushes had actually fallen off in the post. For the record, Rikky had warned me about this and I said it wasn't a problem, I'm not trying to blacken his reputation Wink

He's more than capable of doing that himself. Hmm, greasy:

Now. Rarely will you see removing the old bushes described as a "fun" job, or one that anyone looks forward to. It's therefore extremely important you prepare yourself properly for this task.

Start with a plain old four-cheese pizza from Asda.

Add yourself some red onion, Peppadew peppers, some blobs of tomato puree, a drizzle of Nandos sweet chilli Peri-Peri sauce and some grated mozzarella from the Co-op. Pop it in the oven until browning, then pop under the grill. Nice:

Eat that. Then get to the shed.

Let's start with the one with the busted p-bush. The inner part of the bush was still on the wishbone, as per:

Dremel time + try not to cut too far into the wishbone + old chisel and hammer, and that wasn't too bad at all. As for the other p-bush, I simply cut though with a Dremel in two places and twisted it off:

However, it's now time for the really fun part - the little round bushes. The first one of these took me forever, so I'll show you the second one I did (by which point I'd honed my skills). I'm sure there are many methods for doing this, but this one worked for me.

First up, get the wishbone clamped up, and with a hacksaw held flat, cut around the end to remove the rubber flappy bit.

I then went around the rim of the bush (no sniggering please) with an old chisel and a club hammer, lifting up a lip.

Conveniently, I already had a pack of 100mm x 3mm drill bits from Screwfix, so set about breaking about five of those drilling out as much of the rubber as I could. You'll need to be very careful here, the slightest catch on the centre bit or a twist as you'll have to spend quarter of an hour trying to remove the old drill bit from the bush. Steady hands please:

Back to the Dremel, and I put four or five cuts around the top of the metal lip:

The centre bit is absolutely packed inside the rubber, so there's no chance of it coming out as-is. Drilling will do some of it, but eventually the drill will just be slipping into the existing holes rather than removing more material, and you won't be able to remove any more. However, rubber does have an enemy...

Burn the living shat out of it for a good five minutes or so, until the rubber really degrades into powdery crap that you can pick out with a small chisel or, if you'd rather use the wrong tool (as I did), a screwdriver. I found it's easiest to dig it out when it's hot, as it kinda re-sets itself hard when it cools.

Wear big gloves, you idiot.

After a while of that, I doused it in water and got it clamped back up before setting about generally freeing up the middle bit with a combination of chisels, screwdrivers and other unsuitable tools. Eventually, when you've so nearly given up:

Woohoo! Out it comes, the little bugger. Repeat for both sides (the middle bit is in two parts), until there's nothing left but the metal outer and some old scraps of rubber. There's now enough room to fit a hacksaw inside it, and cut the inner bearing as much as you can without damaging the wishbone.

If you can cut it all out without damaging it then that's great, I went for cutting half way though and then just smashing out the remaining bit until it all came out. Behold!

Having cleaned it all up with a wire brush and some degreaser, I set about building myself a Peugeot Wishbone Painting Rig out of a bit of ply, a bolt, an old curtain rail bracket and a block of wood.

Might patent that. If you don't have one available (or, like me, only have one spare curtain rail bracket), you can always just hang one from the ceiling with an extension lead. After all, that's what extension leads are definitely for.

I've so far slapped on a couple of coats of Hammerite, and they're drying as we speak. I'll bring them inside tonight to get the paint nice and hard (and make the house stink of Hammerite, mmmmmmmm), then I'll package them up and get them in the post to Rich who can set about scraping all the nice new paint off trying to get the new bearings in. Each wishbone took about two hours each once I'd mastered it. Difficulty of 7, cost of 2 and time of 5 makes this little job a 70 on the Ballache Scale. Not too bad, but not something you'd do just for fun.

To all those tools who gave up their lives; to the extension leads which now bear the scars of silver Hammerite: we solute you, fallen comrades.

Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 13:50
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #331
looks like a long thread.

so i'll use the time i saved removing my old wishbone bushes Razz and start reading from page 1

looks an interesting project Thumbs up

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #332
jord294 wrote:
i'll use the time i saved removing my old wishbone bushes and start reading from page 1

Have fun with that, see you in about a week LOL

Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:09
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #333
owain wrote:
jord294 wrote:
i'll use the time i saved removing my old wishbone bushes and start reading from page 1

Have fun with that, see you in about a week LOL

job already done Wink

took about 45mins and my bones are away being powdercoated Big grin

will post up progress soon in my project thread

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:11
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #334
Fire DOES help. It also helps when you attract a bunch of chavs who wonder what you're burning. Innit.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:16
rikky 🦔

Post #335
Laugh my ass off them bushes look comical to remove, i don't have a clue how i've removed them in the past, i don't think it was that much of an issue though Unsure

shiny hammerited wishbones Love

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:20
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #336
Did the house reek of burning rubber? Or is that a normal occurance? LOL

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 14:56
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #337
matt evans wrote:
Did the house reek of burning rubber?

Na, I decided to do this bit outside Wink

matt evans wrote:
Or is that a normal occurance?

Not that it's any of your business, but yes.

Posted 19th Jan 2011 at 15:00
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #338
I love to see people's OTT methods, I just clamp the wishbone in a vice and swing away at the lip with 40oz Ball-Pein and Chisel and out they come LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Jan 2011 at 00:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #339
You know the other methods I said I tried first...? Wink

Posted 20th Jan 2011 at 00:42
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #340
Ha! You should try subaru ones. They've got another layer if metal in the rbber. Take forever to burn out....

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Jan 2011 at 01:26
cooper666

Senior User

Post #341
welshpug! wrote:
I love to see people's OTT methods, I just clamp the wishbone in a vice and swing away at the lip with 40oz Ball-Pein and Chisel and out they come LOL

way i do them takes about 5 minsLOL

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 20th Jan 2011 at 02:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #342
just like 205 ones Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Jan 2011 at 02:28
daw5on

Senior User

Post #343
Try some of the Defender bushes, 10 Ton press wouldn't budge them, lots of cutting, burning, cup of tea, burning, cutting, bleeding, cutting, burning... and still took 3 tons to press out even though we'd cut clean through all the metal. I feel your pain Owain

Cotton Villiers 1967 (Just fully restored)
1988 Yamaha Ty250 Mono (being Built)
Yamaha TY80 (In bits)
Peugeot Speedfight 50 (Daily Ride)
Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 21:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #344
It's not a job I ever hope to do again, hence getting Rich's bearings fitted. Speaking of which, they should be here by Monday, but hopefully tomorrow Smile

Posted 27th Jan 2011 at 21:16
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #345
What's that? A weekend when it's about freezing point? Excellent, let's crack on.

This week was delivery central, ordered up lots of fun little bits that all started arriving. First up was a Nissens rad from Ratty Ash, which is so lovely I think I'll use it in my bedroom.

Second up, oooh look what's arrived! These gave me a wishboner.

They'll be going on at some point soon. However before that is the more pressing issue of the leaking heater matrix which is giving my car the steamroom effect. Now, people say a few hours to get the dash out, but they're girls.

Get rid of the seats, put them somewhere safe.

Faff about for no more than an hour. Wipers off, disconnect matrix pipe for the first time ever without breaking it, and remove the lower rad hose to allow coolant to pour all over your face. Tasty it is not.

Ta da! As long as you don't forget to disconnect the loom connector through the bulkhead, shouldn't be too bad. It does help that every time I do something to the car I put fewer and fewer bolts back in.

A couple of bolts from the engine bay, and the entire blower/matrix combo comes off. It's not a small beast...

Leaving me with a nice empty looking cockpit.

Now, I can't actually decide what to do here. I hate the bulk and bullshit of having the entire matrix and blower in the car, but I like having the heater. I'm really not sure whether to put it back in or just get some Demon Tweeks blowers which'll be far better at cooling the driver on hot days and just plumbing those into the fresh air inlet. I rarely use the car in winter, so I'm thinking the heating is just a weighty inconvenience. Opinions please!

I've always meant to get around to clearing all the tar crap from the floors, so decided now would be as good a time as any while I had the seats out. Gotta say I'd been dreading this job, but with a heatgun and a chisel it was actually weirdly satisfying scraping up all the little curls of stuff. Did a test-clean with some Tardis just to check it was up to the job:

Ooh, it is. Good times. Continue scrubbing and soaking until you have a massive spirit-induced headache, and we're not talking Jager bombs.

The inside of my car's always been a bit grubby, and I've always intended to clean it up a little and possible respray the inside just so it looks the part and I can spot any rusty spots flaring up. First stop, prepare for paint.

I spent forever trying to get the seam seal from the corners, that stuff simply *will not dissolve* in anything I could find. I tried scraping it up but it was too rubbery, Tardis, petrol, anything I could but the shitting stuff just wouldn't move. Until I remembered power tools. I don't know why I hadn't considered it earlier, but I got my drill and some wire brush attachments and pow, ten minutes later it's all gone.

It's almost as if that's exactly what power tools are for.

Job done. Cleaned it all up with some G101 and a scourer, and made sure there wasn't too much loose grit knocking about. To try and prelong the life of the car, I've gone into all the joins with some oxide primer, which should help stop the rust to some extent. Whether or not it can counteract the Frenchness of the car only time will tell, but it can't do any harm.

Whilst that was starting to dry I set about peeling up the tar from the driver's side, and stopped when I ran out of light. I'm off for a bath and a beer now, before probably falling asleep early.

Ready for more of the same tomorrow.

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 22:52
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #346
just stick it back in, its not that heavy Thumbs up

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 23:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #347
Yeah that's an option, but at some point I'd really like to do something with the centre console of the dash and possibly get rid of the passenger's side of it.

The dash weighs a ton, so anything I can just off it can only be a good thing. Not only that, but not having the heater in there gives me far more room behind the centre console for plumbing in the electrics, battery cutoff and the suchlike.

EDIT: Oh, and most of the ducting is now missing or broken, and I can't be dealing with getting those stupid steel cables back in Smile

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 23:05
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #348
cut the passenger side off dash and refit Yes
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 23:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #349
zx dash, lighter LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 23:22
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #350
Im not sure whether to ditch the heater stuff in mine and get a heated screen. The thing putting me off that idea is that i go to the 'ring every year and the weathers not guaranteed, so i can see it being a massive ballache if i get wet and then cant get warm or dry in the car.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 30th Jan 2011 at 00:41

Pages (31): first .. 13 [14] 15 .. last