displaying posts 201 to 225 of 775

Pages (31): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last

Author Subject: Track Cars for Dummies
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #201
my car gets parked in the street so am a bit f*cked if some little twat comes along to stick his arm in my window when its raining LOL

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 23:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #202
In which case I'd suggest wiring your chassis up to the mains or filling the car with cyanide gas whenever you're not using it.

Either way, they're going down.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 00:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #203
eddy_gti6 wrote:
my car gets parked in the street so am a bit f*cked if some little twat comes along to stick his arm in my window when its raining LOL

Recreate the arm trap from one of the saw movies, think its the 2nd one where they are all in the house, it allows your arms to go in but cant get them out without assistance.
You'll catch any thief red handed LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 00:41
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #204
prism7guy wrote:
eddy_gti6 wrote:

Recreate the arm trap from one of the saw movies, think its the 2nd one where they are all in the house, it allows your arms to go in but cant get them out without assistance.
You'll catch any thief red handed LOL

so plastic tinted windows so no one can see the spikes on the back of the sliders for entry only, no exit LOL

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 00:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #205
Yes LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 04:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #206
Right, these brakes then. Got some Brembos from Rick (lotek) as the originals are fine, but I'd like something ideally with a bit more bite to them. The only downside is the squeal issue - we'll get back to that in a bit.

I'd done a test fit with my new wheels the other week, so knew that 5mm spacers would be fine to clear the calipers. I'd had Rochford Liars fit me some spacers the other day when I needed new tapered wheel bolts for the new wheels, I needed long bolts, didn't have the 5mm spacers I'd bought with me so ended up getting some more spacers from them, and getting them to fit the wheels while I was there, just because. Get home, return my original spacers to Halfords.

Fitting wasn't too much of an issue once I'd figured everything out - the old hoses simply unscrew from the pipes at the top:

And the calipers come off as they have done many times before. I had my oil drain pan under the car to catch the achingly expensive RBF660 that sat leaking out of the car; nothing gives you such an incentive to get it done quickly but still, these are brakes and so are not to be rushed.

Initially I routed the new braided lines completely wrong, then realised I was being a nob and all I needed to do was put them exactly where the previous ones had gone; I'm not really sure why this wasn't obvious but for some reason unbeknownst to me it simply wasn't.

I cut the rubber lump from the old brake cables so I could re-use it for the new ones:

Then got the discs and calipers on and all connected up nicely. The calipers came with some short lengths of copper brake line needed to turn a 90 degree angle out of the caliper, else the brake lines won't be long enough.

Hmmmmm. Mean lookin.

Repeat for the other side, bleed through with another fifty odd quid's worth of RBF660, wish you'd just used cheap stuff for now. On these it's best to bleed each caliper on each side twice - inside, outside, inside, outside then repeat for the other caliper. It might not seem obvious until you've had some, but these calipers have two bleed nipples, as unlike the standard ones they have pistons on both sides.

Fit wheels. Oh, I see. Rochford Liars have struck again. Frickin weird 5mm spacers these, considering they're only 3mm thick. Yet another thing to add to the saga that is my relationship of disappointment I have with them, the high point of which was them fitting two spigot rings on one wheel, and having it come loose on my way home from work. Every time they screw up I promise myself I won't go back there, but they're so conveniently close to where I work.

Halfords, buy back ridiculously overpriced 5mm spacers I returned yesterday. Wheels on, *very* cautious test drive.

FCUK. ME.

That noise. Now, I was expecting squealing, don't get me wrong - but *that*?! Jeeeez, that's appalling! I mean yes - they stop, and they stop you well. But at what cost to your ear drums, and the eardrums of those around you? I'd cleaned them up as best I could, removed and cleaned behind the side shim bits (or at least the ones that I could get off) but still, frickin heck.

Whether I can tolerate that I'm not too sure, but as my car has *no* soundproofing, plastic windows and no stereo it wouldn't surprise me if they end up coming straight back off.

Annoying, to say the least.

P.S.

Lastly, as promised, some pictures of the car with the wheels on. Still haven't gotten around to cleaning all the soap stuff off them, but you get the idea.

and

Posted 18th Sep 2010 at 21:31
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #207
Looks lovely sweet cheeks, sorry never got back to you on your thread about 2 weeks ago, something came up Whistle

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Sep 2010 at 01:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #208
Yeah you inconsiderate bastid, going and getting yourself banned just as you were about to come in useful Wink

Posted 19th Sep 2010 at 17:08
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #209
brembos Big grin do they squeel? LOL looking good, coming along well

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 12:05
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #210
Looking good, sounding frickin horrific Smile

I HAVE PLANS. I'm determined to solve this...

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 17:53
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #211
I take it you used copper grease on the back of the pads? My AP's squeal more now that the copper grease needs redoing, im tempted to try some pad things too, will be interesting to see what you try as i might follow in your footsteps Yes Pad compound also doesnt help, the Pagid's i have are high metal content and metal upon metal is big time squeak LOL Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 18:09
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #212
Alas, I did not. But for good reason Smile

Much as I could kid myself that I was going to be the lucky one with the non-squeaking Brembos, I knew deep down it was going to be an issue. Granted, I didn't realise quite how bad but still - it wasn't going to be fun.

I've sat here for hours reading up all the issues with these brakes, and no-one seems to have found a completely definite answer. There seem to be a few problems; first up the pads (even though they have shims on the back) may well need copper slip as you say. Secondly the sliders are filthy, the bolts for some were siezed up so I couldn't remove them. Thirdly, one of them was so full of crap that one of the pads wouldn't go in without being filed down.

So.

I'm determined now to find out what's going on with these, and I intend to be scientific about it. First port of call, as you say, is the copper slip. Secondly I've got onto an engineering company around my way who reckon they can make me some new stainless shims for the brakes - I'll try those to see if that helps. Past that it's down to experimenting with new discs, magic fluid stuff and the suchlike. Possibly chamfering the friction surface of the pad a little, who knows.

But I intend to find out Big grin

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 18:25
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #213
Best of luck buddy, finding the answer is like the finding the holy grail LOL From what i remember its something to do with the resonance of the setup. If you can find a way to absorb the resonant frequencies then you may well be on to something Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 18:31
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #214
Yeah it's a resonance issue, might just stuff blu-tak into the vents on the discs, that'll probably sort it.

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 18:33
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #215
phillip m wavvy discs cure it apparently.
but he was unable to make some for aggeeeesss. but as i understand the machines are now up and running as of very recently? Dunno

drop him a PM Yes
could save you alot of time and ballache.

as for shims, theres a guy who sells them for a tenner delivered on the fiat coupe owners club, saves you having to get them made up. Thumbs up
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 19:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #216
Cheers Rick, just had a look on the Alfa club, I've located the guy and will drop him a message. However they weren't actually the bits I need, I need the sliders - the ones I have are corroded and nasty, hence can't actually get the pads in properly which won't be helping.

Two different issues, each equally annoying Smile

Cheers
O.

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 19:14
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #217
Owain, sell them on and buy Ash's 310mm renaultsport setup. The difference is night and day mate. Especially with the lower weight discs as well. He does a 330mm setup for those 406 calipers too - that cures the squeal.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to fix the squeal - get something better.

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:04
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #218
Believe me I'd love to, but I have no money Smile

Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:06
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #219
Fair enough. I am continually in the same situation Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 20:28
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #220
I have found Ceratec more effective than copper grease-not a "magic solution" but better.
(Carl G's TVR/AP's with ds2500s on big compbrake rotors)

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 23:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #221
Yeah I've seen that stuff about, what's the deal? Just splat it between the pads and the pistons?

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 00:19
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #222
Still wont work on these though LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 00:21
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #223
Sounds daft, but if it's caused by resonance what about some kind of rubber buffer or something between the carriers/pads? Obviously some kind of magic rubber that doesn't melt at VHT's Doh

Kevlar mebby?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 00:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #224
Yeah I've been looking into this, hopefully I'll find a magic solution and then live off the beer all the Brembo owners buy me, but I suspect I'll just end up old, angry and deaf.

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 00:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #225
its caused by the disc, the only disc in this configuration that doesn't squeal I have read about is the Tarox G88's, but you'll cry when you see the price of them!

the same calipers on some of Ash's belled rotors do not squeal.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Sep 2010 at 01:33

Pages (31): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last