displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: A few changes...
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
So done a few little bits on the car since the site went down....

Painted my calipers yellow, had my spare set of clones refurbed in a dark gun metal, and vinyl wrapped the petrol caps in this carbon immitation stuff which isnt half bad, prefer it to the standard plastic anyway.

Passenger side needs redoing as its quite hard to get the vinyl around the curved edges without making it look shit.

Really pleased with the cyclone refurbishment. They did a very good job for quite a resonable price....for anyone whos interested i recommend BJV Engineering in Flaunden, Herts. They also do engine parts too if you want.

Anyway heres some pics....still need to take a few more of the cyclones as i only have the one at the moment.

Forgot to mention cyclones are now wrapped in 195/50/15 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and so far im quite impressed. Good in the wet with no aquaplaning yet. And i have been in some flood water i can tell you!

Expected the ride to be a bit worse than in the 55's but i actually prefer it on 50's....seems softer and more controlled, steering wheel feels a tad lighter too. Bit more of a go-karty feel!

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:01
Stuwee

Senior User

Post #2
Thumbs up

Ph1 Cossack 6

Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:02
eddiebeano

Senior User

Post #3
I like the clones, but not too sure on the colour of the calipers with the colour of the car.

team: Stealth Ninja
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:07
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Fair enough - i thought about it before i did it and thought it would look good against dark grey, really think it still does Smile

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:14
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
Good job with the RS2's. I had P6000's before and the Uniroyal's are (obviously) much better overall but the sidewalls are quite soft so it does tend to roll onto them. I felt a noticeable difference between the two tyre models (depends what you had before though). Not to say that they aren't grippy though: once they car's leant onto them there's an awful lot of grip: again, more so than the P6000's.

It's nice not to fear aquaplaning anymore LOL
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:25
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I had some cheap brand on before which i cant even remember but even they were MILES better than the P6000's i had before them.

I started a thread ages ago on how bad P6000s really are after they nearly killed me by sending me aquaplaning dangerously close to the central reservation! LOL

I think the sidewalls are yeh a little soft as i have felt them roll a little bit, but most 55's walls roll too and they are a step up from those.

But Pirelli's i really cant stress how damn awful those tyres really are, for me it takes alot to differentiate between a good and a bad tyre but for a tyre to show someone like me how godawful they really are says alot about them.

Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:41
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
nice !

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:54
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Good shout on the RS2's, I had them when I ran cyclones and the only problem I found was the soft sidewalls too, had a bit of sway on the motorway. I missed them last night on the way home from a gig, pitch black and p*ssing rain on the motorway and the cheap crap I have at the minute were horrible, backed right off to about 60mph

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 21:31
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I don't like my RS2's at all, i had eagle F1 gsd3's on before and PE2's on my other '6 and in comparison the RS2's just feel all wibbly wobbly. They have only been on a few hundred miles and i have already chamfered all the edges of the tread, it just feels like the back end is wanting to constantly come out when cornering hard. I've pushed them hard in the rain and was very impressed by the grip but the wishy washyness just doesnt inspire confidence in the dry for me unfortunately.

Thats my rant of the day done. LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 21:36
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
That's a fair point, but PE2's/GSD3's are always going to be the benchmark. RS2's are third choice when compared to those two, but in my eyes will always be first choice when you haven't got £50 a corner to spend. I got four 195/50/15's fitted and balanced for about £170, would have been £240 for PE2's.

They're a winner for me purely due to the wet weather grip. We don't get much of any other weather here, apart from really cold wet weather LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 21:40
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I bought them for their great reviews in wet weather and intended to use them as my wets for trackdays, but i get bored so have a little play at weekends.
I kind of regret not getting some PE2's now but at the time money was tight.
I have 39psi in each tyre now which has helped the soft sidewall a little, but still feels like the car decides where its wanting to go to some degree.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 21:43
darzmat

Senior User

Post #12
looking good, was planning on doing the same with my petrol caps.

also i like the yellow callipers. might do this on my blaze as everyone comments how the red doesnt go with blaze.

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 22:52