displaying posts 276 to 300 of 775

Pages (31): first .. 11 [12] 13 .. last

Author Subject: Track Cars for Dummies
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #276
FFS

I sent them the V5 on the day you bought it and another letter when the document hadn't shown up.

I'm sure they've replied to me and thanked me for advising them that I'm no longer the owner, I'll try and dig it out (I need to or I may get fined)

f*cking Balls.

In terms of taxing it, just use the green slip, MOT and insurance dos and they should be able to do it at the post office

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 31st Oct 2010 at 16:55
hudson603

Senior User

Post #277
Brilliant thread Owain, I only wish I had the time, patience, space, skills and £££ to do the same!

Great effort and keep the updates coming! Thumbs up
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 01:30
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #278
why is your arb blue??

thats prob why its rubing fella Yes

there a tight enough fit as is, let alone with a a coating off blue stuff LOL
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 01:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #279
Cheers matey, although I really don't feel your excuses stand up to much Wink

Time - just stop doing something else
Patience - not an issue, just hit stuff if it doesn't work
Space - throw stuff out
Skills - you'll pick it up as you go along
Money - Credit cards

I look forward to seeing your project thread soon Smile

Dave - I've got a form to take to the DVLA tomorrow which'll request ownership goes to me - they said it takes four weeks, I'm pretty sure they'll write to you. It seems simpler because I do have the green slip.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 01:40
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #280
Rick - I just painted it up to reduce rust, it's only a light coating of spray paint Smile

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 01:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #281
Ah, tax all sorted. Arrived at the DVLA half an hour before it opened, by nine there were about fifteen people all queuing up to get stuff sorted.

Ridiculous.

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 16:03
306andy

Senior User

Post #282
Glad you got it sorted Owain. Allow me to congratulate you on a most extensive and thoroughly entertaining read.

I hope Brands goes well too Smile

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

xbox Live tag: SilverGTi6
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 16:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #283
Goes well = "nothing falls off", here's hoping.

Cheers matey, glad it passed some time Smile

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 16:27
306andy

Senior User

Post #284
Well, i'm sure you'll take a roll or two of Gaffer Tape just to be on the safe side.

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 16:36
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #285
306andy wrote:
Well, i'm sure you'll take a roll or two of Gaffer Tape just to be on the safe side.

Yes

also some zipties and a mini lump hammer LOL
Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 16:57
306andy

Senior User

Post #286
Surely those fancy items are reserved for German car owners? I mean, a lump hammer is weight and so bestowed in a VW, it wouldn't make too much difference to their shockingly bad handling characteristics

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 17:06
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #287
I love the idea that the DVLA worked out that I no longer owned it, however didn't attach a new owner to the car.

I've told them about the change of owner twice and they still managed to only half transfer it.

I guess, awesomely, any speeding tickets/parking fines etc from the last three months will have vanished into space

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 17:34
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #288
Yeah I did point that out, his answer was simply that they do so many that some'll go wrong.

It's only annoying as my insurance I've stated I'm the registered keeper (which was not the case) and I'm quite frankly surprised I've not been picked up by any of the Essex ANPR units.

Shame I don't do many miles in the car really, pretty sure I'll have about a hundred tickets in the next two weeks from a late-night jaunt home from Shrewsbury in the Astra the other day.

Posted 1st Nov 2010 at 20:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #289
Right, so all taxed and legal it was time for the next problem.

The evening before Brands I find out my brake lights aren't working, which isn't really ideal. Logically, there are only a few things that can be wrong here as it's about as simple a system as you'll find anywhere on the car; power goes to switch, switch closes circuit, lights come on. How hard can it be?

Well, hard enough to not get fixed that night. Whilst I would never condone driving illegally, there was no way in hell that I was missing my last trackday of the year for something so minor, so decided to have another look the next morning once I'd got to Brands.

I'd found and read through oecken's handy FAQ about changing the switch which explained beautifully what to do, and having checked there was no power getting to the rear lights and that all fuses were fine, it could only be the switch.

Sit in traffic around closed M25, turn up late, miss briefing, go through world of pain, eventually get on about 10am. Do trackday, pub dinner, get home, lovely. Next day order up a new switch from Pug, everyone's happy.

So, came to fit this switch today - it's pretty cold outside and by all accounts I was about to experience yet again the joys of scraping skin off fingers in the bitter outdoors. Can't wait!

So, steering column needs to be lowered, and we're not talking about with that little lever thing. 13mm spanner, get on your back and find the four nuts that are holding it up. These are the top two, there are two similar ones further down:

Obviously if you've still got all the cowling and suchlike in place that'll need to come off first, but for once having the cold noisy rattling track car is actually the preferred option.

Once those four are off, the entire column should drop down, leaving the four studs to which it was attached and showing a rectangular hole (in the centre of this image) with lovely razor-sharp edges:

The column will probably end up handing from the ignition and indicator wires, so I went for detatching them fully and bringing the seat forward to rest it all on.

The brake light switch is inside that hole, just to the bottom right. It seems to be just wedged in the hole, so wasn't too much bother to pull out.

Once I'd gotten the switch from its receptacle (excellent word) the reason for the failure soon became clear. The switch was in good-as-new condition, but the connector simply wasn't attached. I have no idea how long this has been the case, but it does seem to be an issue. Pop the connector back on, spend a few minutes cutting up your fingers trying to push it back in, you should be golden. If you have a left-handed five-year-old knocking about whose hands you don't mind destroying then that'd be handy, as the hole appears to have been designed to be just slightly too small to be comfortable. I can count no less than eight fresh-looking cuts to my hands right about now.

Next job'll probably be to fit that oil cooler I've had for ages but have never gotten around to fitting. I've always tried to be careful on trackdays to let the car cool off plenty, but as my sump-based under-reading oil temperature guage has been going over 110 degrees I think it's best I get it on before next year's season. I was planning on fitting it this year, but having free time never really coincided with an oil change. The car's probably due an oil change, so that'll be done soon.

Oh, and it needs the timing belt doing as well, but I'll let Peugeot do that.

Time for pizza and Top Gear repeats on Dave methinks.

Posted 7th Nov 2010 at 19:43
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #290
Your lack of update displeases me

LOL

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 19:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #291
Yeah, sorry about that. Got the timing belt changed by Peugeot yesterday (well day before actually, but the silly fools managed to order the wrong parts).

Two unexpected but slightly amusing points of the process:

1. Him: "I'll just come and do a visual inspection of the car before we start, sir".

Me: "Well, if it comes back in showroom condition I will be royally p*ssed off"

Wasn't long before he gave up marking points on his little chart where the car wasn't standard.

2. Him: (having finished the belt) "There is only one problem, we didn't have time to valet the car for you".

Me: "That's really not a concern"

Impressively, especially considering how much the mechanic was raving about the '6, they'd only put four of five miles on it by the time I got back. I was expecting significantly more than that.

Don't really know what to do to the car next, winter is an evil and cold time to be outside.

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 20:08
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #292
I'd personally drive it a bit more!

How much did Peugeot want to do the belt?

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 20:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #293
They initially wanted £250 plus the vat, but I thought I'd better get the water pump done at the time. Agreed £350+vat with the guy over the phone, he wrote it on the form which, alas, the guy who took payment took to mean £350 *including* vat, thus giving me 17.5% off the bill. Nice. £350 all in, genuine parts, new belt and water pump.

Annoying amount to have to spend, but a weight off my mind.

Posted 24th Nov 2010 at 21:04
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #294
Right, it's winter so any updates were always going to be a bit pathetic, but it's surely better than nothing.

The car is usually garaged, but there are times I have to leave it somewhere (work etc) where I'm not too happy about the fact you can just lean in and open the door from the inside. So, we need some kind of locking mechanism.

I had a look round the garage before stumbling upon the paint roller orphaned by project cigar lighter. Looks about right, so let's give that a go.

Lop one end off with a hacksaw, handle breaks off if you twist it enough. Gotta say, with no change of length - just a bit of a bend - you've got yourself a perfect window slider locking mechanism.

Perfect:

Now if only my parcel would turn up, I could go out for a test drive, see if the car's much faster now.

Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 18:14
rikky 🦔

Post #295
i have probably asked you already but who cares. where did you get the helmet hammock?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 18:38
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #296
It's a cargo net from a 306 diesel Smile

Edit: estate.

Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 19:39
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #297
Rally boys drill & tap a hole through the slider & window to put a plastic number plate bolt through from the inside to lock the slidersNinja

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 21:50
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #298
Pfft, rally boys clearly don't have enough old decorating guff hanging around then LOL

Sounds like a good plan, I'll probably do that when I get around to fitting the slider on the other side. Useful as the slider is currently being in a box in my kitchen...

Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 21:52
-=fubes=-

Post #299
Priceless thread Owain, really enjoyed reading it. You have a sense of the inevitable and the will to overcome it, with a sense of style, panache and perseverance.

Or, in other words, top bodging fella! (high praise indeed).

-=F=-
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 22:23
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #300
ive read this in dribs and drabs before, but seeing as im having a "productive" day at work, thought id read the whole thing again, Top stuff, i dont know why but i feel your writing style has a little JC'esq about it, either way always good to read keep the updates coming ......Thumbs up

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 22:42

Pages (31): first .. 11 [12] 13 .. last